The Hypnosis Education Association is a member-run organization of a diverse group of people interested in hypnosis and the complementary healing arts. Our Mission is to provide high standards of education and quality support for members in a friendly and warm environment so they are empowered to learn, grow and achieve excellence in their personal and professional lives .
- To offer knowledge and education of the nature, uses and benefits of hypnosis to professional hypnotists and to the general public.
- To reduce misconceptions and fears about hypnosis.
- To establish and promote a hypnosis code of ethics.
(On March 8, 2003, at a meeting of the membership, we adopted this code of ethics. It was adapted from the code developed and used by the National Guild of Hypnotists. We applaud the NGH’s work in this area, and we have subscribed to their code and accepted it in its entirety. It is included here verbatim and only the name of the association has been changed from the NGH’s original document.)
The Hypnosis Education Association requires its members to conform to the following ethical principles and shall hold members accountable for any departure from these principles.
- Client Welfare: Members shall make the physical and mental well-being of each client a prime consideration.
- Client Safety: Members shall not engage in verbal, physical or sexual abuse of any client.
- Practice Limits: Members shall use hypnosis strictly within the limits of their training and competence and in conformity to the laws of their state.
- Advertising: Members shall be truthful in their advertising.
- Referred Practice: Members shall engage in hypnotic work with a client regarding a medical or mental disease only on written referral from an appropriately licensed medical or mental health professional, except when otherwise provided for by state law.
- Reasonable Practice: Members shall withhold non-referred hypnotic services if a client’s behavior, appearance or statements would lead a reasonable person to believe that the client should be evaluated by a licensed health care professional. Members shall provide services to such clients only after evaluation and with the approval of the licensed health care professional.
- Colleagues: Members shall treat hypnotist colleagues without public defamation.
By-Laws of HEA
To learn more about the way we are governed, click on the link below.